Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My summer movie recommendations

I just noticed that USA Today newspaper has a big article today about this summer's movies. According to them, ticket sales were a record setting $4.2 billion. I'm not sure if this is for only the US or world wide.

I see a lot of movies, and have seen most of those that are out this summer and here are my comments about a few of them.

The best, in my opinion was Iron Man. I've never even seen the comic book character, but Robert Downey Jr. played him just right. He was the perfect combination of action, humor and sex appeal. I thought it was fresh and original, and I hope they make a sequal that's almost as good.

In second place, I would probably say to see the latest Batman story starring Christian Bale and the late Heath Ledger. I think that this movie got extra attention due to Ledger's untimely death, but I think that the movie almost lived up to the hype. My only criticism was that it was kind of dark and depressing, without much humor.

My third place pick is probably Pineapple Express, the stoner comedy starring Seth Rogan. Although I have no interest in doing drugs, I laughed really hard at some of the jokes.

I also enjoyed Sex and the City, but I would not expect it to be a big award winner. Just a pleasant night out with the girls.

I enjoyed Tropic Thunder, but in my opinion it did not live up to the hype. The jokes where a bit stupid for my taste.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to see, I usually have an opinion.

No comments: