Saturday, December 12, 2009

Henri Toulouse-Lautrec: fashion illustrator?













In my last post I reported on Blue Logan, who has become somewhat famous lately because of his fashion illustrations, often done at the fashion shows as they are happening. On his website (http://www.bluelogan.co.uk) he lists Henri Toulouse-Lautrec as an influence

I can see the resemblance. Although, I've never heard him called a fashion illustrator, he certainly recorded a lot of the fashions of the times. He was also known for sketching events as they happened. His subjects were considered common and even vulgar at the time, but his art elevated them to cultural icons. He was a popular character at the Moulin Rouge, a Parisian nightclub.

Maybe its time to revive the lost art of illustrators as fashion reporters. Photography has gotten so common, and illustrators can capture the emotions of the actual event better than many photographers.

I am interested in trying out my skills. My sketches of live events are forthcoming!




Thanks for visiting my blog! If you are looking for a current example of my custom fashion illustrations, visit this link: http://lizblair.blogspot.com/2009/10/alabama-chanin-design-and-my-drawing-of.html

No comments: